A growing number of local councils in NSW and across Australia are banning the operation of exotic animal circuses on council land in their local government area. The Greens NSW are calling on the State Government to recognise that this ethical stance by local councils means that it is time to abolish the inhumane use of animals for entertainment.
It is time to support a move to animal free circuses by enforcing a statewide ban on exotic animal circuses.
1) Download our petition, get your friends and family to sign it and send it back to us.
Web petitions are a great tool, but if we want the petition to be tabled in parliament it needs to be in this format. People power will show the Government that the people of NSW care about animal welfare.
2) Email, call or write a letter to the Minister of Primary Industries, Niall Blair, and the Shadow Minister, Mick Veitch, telling them why you support animal free circuses.
The Hon. Niall Blair, MLC
52 Martin Place
Sydney NSW 2000
02 9339 5560
The Hon. Mick Veitch, MLC
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9230 2714
Some points you might want to make in your emails.
- Current guidelines for the keeping of animals in circuses in Australia are totally inadequate to protect their welfare and are far below what is generally required for the same species kept in zoos.
- Performing circus animals are kept for prolonged periods in close confinement, in artificial social
groups and are continually being transported between circus venues for the duration of their performing lives. This life leads to stress, boredom and often results in abnormal behaviours such as repetitive pacing or swaying.
- Cirque du Soleil, Circus Oz and many other popular circuses have shown that the most entertaining circus productions rely exclusively on the skills of their talented human performers, proving that you don’t need cruelty to make a circus. Their success and economic viability do not require the use of any animals.
- An increasing number of Australian councils are acknowledging the use of animals for entertainment is cruel and inhumane and are taking an ethical stance by adopting a ban on exotic animal circuses on council land.
By working together and putting forward our concerns to the NSW Parliament on the cruel mistreatment of animals in circuses we are giving these beautiful animals a voice and we are serving future generations of children by advocating a respect for all creatures whether great or small. Join us and be heard.
Feel free to download and distribute our information flyer