I’m working with women’s groups, legal experts, and medical professionals to end a bill which would grant personhood status to a foetus 20 weeks and over, the Crimes Amendment (Zoe’s Law) Bill 2013 (No 2). It has many concerning ramifications, and may restrict reproductive freedoms, and prosecution of women for acts during pregnancy.
Update 20 November 2014
Continued pressure from the community as well as legal and medical peak bodies and organisations, and women’s rights groups has resulted in the MPs pushing for foetal personhood laws, failing to bring it forward for debate on the last day of parliament. My advice is that the bill will lapse before parliament resumes after the 2015 election.
It is now time to build a campaign to remove abortion from the NSW Crimes Act.
If you or others you know want more information or want to join the campaign for abortion law reform please visit my campaign webpage or give my office a call on (02) 9230 2625.
Update 17 November 2014
After languishing on the Legislative Council Notice Paper for close to a year, the Crimes Amendment (Zoe’s Law) Bill 2013 (No. 2) may come up for debate this week. The Rev. Fred Nile has stated that he believes he is ‘very close to achieving a majority of votes for this Bill’. To convince people to support the bill, Rev. Nile plans to introduce a 2 year sunset clause as an amendment.
The Australian Medical Association NSW recently responded to refute the claim by the Rev. Nile that the amendment he proposes will address their concerns. The AMA NSW were very clear that they had not been consulted regarding the proposed amendment.
I am continuing to work alongside both legal and medical professionals and women activists to highlight the potentially dangerous consequences of this bill on women’s rights and the conflicts it could create in the criminal law.
To add your voice to the strong opposition against this Bill sign the email petition at the Our Bodies Our Choices website and encourage like minded friends, colleagues and family to do the same.
What you can do
Read and distribute my campaign flyer.
Join in the Our Bodies Our Choices email campaign which sends a letter to all Upper House MPs.
- Find out what the Crimes Amendment (Zoe’s Law) Bill 2013 (No.2) is all about.
- Read my comments in the latest Women’s Agenda piece ‘Fred Nile adds Sunset Clause to Zoe’s Law‘.
- Read my New Matilda or SBS Online articles on why we need to stop Zoe’s Law as well as The Honi Soit article Zoe’s Law: A Woman’s Choice by Lucia Osborne-Crowley. I was also interviewed for this piece by Ruby Hamad.
- Watch the Community Forum held on Thursday 26 September, with health law expert Julie Hamblin, OB/GYN Dr Philippa Ramsay, and ethicist Dr Leslie Cannold.
- Read statements and briefings from
- the NSW Bar Association
- the AMA (NSW)
- MDA National
- Women’s Legal Services Letter 1 and Letter 2
- Community Legal Centres
- Australian Lawyers for Human Rights
- Equality Rights Alliance
- Rape and Domestic Violence Services Australia
- Women’s Abortion Access Campaign
- Our Bodies Our Choices
- the Womens’ Electoral Lobby 2014
- Family Planning NSW 2014
- Women’s Health NSW 2014
- Avant Mutual Group 2014
- the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2014
- Women’s Legal Services 2014
- the AMA (NSW) Nile Amendment Response 2014
Sign up for the mailing list or ‘Like’ my Facebook page to stay informed about developments or further action you can take.