Dr Faruqi says—
I give notice that on the next sitting day I will move:
- That a select committee be established to inquire into and report on the CBD and South East Light Rail Project, and in particular:
(a) the planning processes and consultations leading to all decisions regarding the route of the project, including the realignment of the route from the south side to the north side of Alison Road,
(b) environmental impacts of the project, including the impacts on trees, wildlife, and native vegetation,
(c) the impact of the project on public transport patronage and relevant government transport targets,
(d) any modelling, analysis and studies on public transport usage associated with project design and decisions,
(e) the adequacy of community consultation processes, and
(f) any other related matter.
- That, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the standing orders, the committee consist of six members comprising:
(a) two government members,
(b) two opposition members, and
(c) two crossbench members, being Dr Faruqi and another crossbench member.
- That the committee elect a Chair and Deputy Chair at its first meeting.
- That members may be appointed to the committee as substitute members for any matter before the committee by providing notice in writing to the Committee Clerk, with nominations made as follows:
(a) nominations for substitute government or opposition members are to be made by the Leader of the Government, Leader of the Opposition, Government or Opposition Whip or Deputy Whip, as applicable, and
(b) nominations for substitute crossbench members are to be made by the substantive member or another crossbench member.
- That a committee member who is unable to attend a deliberative meeting in person may participate by electronic communication and may move any motion and be counted for the purpose of any quorum or division, provided that:
(a) the Chair is present in the meeting room,
(b) all members are able to speak and hear each other at all times, and
(c) members may not participate by electronic communication in a meeting to consider a draft report.
- That, unless the committee decides otherwise:
(a) submissions to inquiries are to be published, subject to the Committee Clerk checking for confidentiality and adverse mention and, where those issues arise, bringing them to the attention of the committee for consideration,
(b) the Chair’s proposed witness list is to be circulated to provide members with an opportunity to amend the list, with the witness list agreed to by email, unless a member requests the Chair to convene a meeting to resolve any disagreement,
(c) the sequence of questions to be asked at hearings alternate between opposition, crossbench and government members, in that order, with equal time allocated to each,
(d) transcripts of evidence taken at public hearings are to be published,
(e) supplementary questions are to be lodged with the Committee Clerk within two days, excluding Saturday and Sunday, following the receipt of the hearing transcript, with witnesses requested to return answers to questions on notice and supplementary questions within 21 calendar days of the date on which questions are forwarded to the witness, and
(f) answers to questions on notice and supplementary questions are to be published, subject to the Committee Clerk checking for confidentiality and adverse mention and, where those issues arise, bringing them to the attention of the committee for consideration.
- That the committee report within six months of the date of passing this resolution.