28th September is the Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion. The will be events across Sydney and regional NSW, encouraging people to sign postcards addressed to their local MPs asking them to vote yes for the decriminalisation of abortion and for creating safe access zones around reproductive health clinics.
Greens NSW MP and Spokesperson for the Status of Women, Dr Mehreen Faruqi MLC, will be present at the signing event in Martin Place.
Dr. Faruqi said:
“Last year, on this day, we launched the #End12 community campaign and just last month I introduced the first-ever bill to decriminalise abortion and create safe access zones around reproductive health clinics into NSW Parliament. Today we are working with the community to call on MPs to vote yes on the bill.
“Polling shows an overwhelming majority of NSW residents support decriminalisation and safe access zones, we are working to ensure MPs hear directly from the community on this issue which Parliament has been avoiding for so long.
“Other states in Australia have decriminalised abortion, NSW must catch up and get rid of laws made over 100 years ago. It’s 2016 – abortion should not be a crime in this state.
When: 28th September 2016, 12:30pm to 2:00pm
- Martin Place (close to the corner of Martin Place and Castlereagh)
- Queen Victoria Building (Corner of George and Druitt St, near the Queen’s statue and ABC Shop)
- Parramatta (near the HSBC on Church Street, close to the corner with Darcy St)
- Newtown Train Station, Newtown
- Clocktower on Beaumont Street, Hamilton
- Green Point, Great Lakes
- Hamilton Train Station, Hamilton
- Terrigal Town Centre, NSW
- Foreshore, Warners Bay, Lake Macquarie
Media Contact: Matt Hilton 9230 2625/ 0474 437 111
More information: www.end12.org.au
Abortion Law Reform (Miscellaneous Amendments) Act 2016 is available here: https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/bills/Pages/bill-details.aspx?pk=2919